LaMEK – Pre-Cut Grafts for DMEK
Have you already used the DMEK with your patients? Are you planning on it in the future? Lamellar transplant techniques, in particular Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK) have changed the field of cornea transplants. The vision of the patient recovers faster. An additional trauma, caused by stitching the donor’s cornea, is eliminated. The DGFG provides the only institution in Germany, where you can find pre-cut human corneal transplants for your DMEK transplantations.
- Standardized preparation under aseptic conditions
- Preparation in a clean-room facility under aseptic conditions
- Preparation by experienced personnel
- No risk of errors in the operating room
- Fully ready and with delivery
- Reduction of preparation time in the operating room
- Reduction of postsurgical complications caused by insufficient lamellar graft quality
- Microbiological control after production
You can register your patient into our database either online or by fax. We are happy to set up an online account for you with our database. Once a suitable transplant is available, you will receive a quote with all available information. For registration we require the patient data, the underlying disease, any other relevant diseases, and information about any previous surgery on the eye.
What you should know
- OP-Day, Monday to Friday
- Diameter: 8.5 mm (special sizes are possible)
- Minimum number of cells being shipped: 2.000/mm²
- Delivery on the day of surgery until 10 am (regulatory requirements do not allow delivery the day before)
- Safe shipping in a practical shipping container: Viewing Chamber
Costs and Transport
For the provision of a LaMEK graft, the DGFG calculates a uniform, tissue-dependent reimbursement of the expenses, with all the costs of the donation, processing and transport being paid. They are delivered by overnight courier. Prices are available upon request.
Tissue Transplants are Safe
In Germany tissue preparations are covered under the Drug Law. They are considered medicinal products. Therefore, extensive licensing and safety regulations apply. The EU Directive 2004/23/EG lays down uniform quality and safety standards for tissue preparation throughout the European Union. The DGFG has the necessary permits according to § 20 b and c in the Drug Law. Moreover, the Paul Ehrlich Institute exists as the federal authority to approve and bring the pretreated grafts to the market. Each tissue donation is documented and traceable from the person that donated it up until the transplant itself.
The pre-cut grafts for DMEK – Lamek – replaces the diseased endothelial layer of the cornea, that is affected by diseases of the corneal endothelium. At the time of the operation there must be no irreversible, optically-related clouding or scarring of the cornea of the recipient. The pre-cut graft may be used exclusively for DMEK. A DMEK is possible, among others, for the following disorders of the corneal endothelium:
- Fuchs`corneal endothelial dystrophy
- Forms of Bullous kerathopathy
- Endothelium failure after already performed penetrating keratoplasty or Descemet Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSAEK)